In 1922, the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States launched the Knight Templar Education Foundation to establish a plan which would provide educational advantages for the youth of our beloved country. Initially, the Foundation was funded by each Sir Knight paying $1.00 annually for a period of nine years beginning in July 1924 to create a fund from which student loans could be made to deserving students.
Recently, the Illinois Division of the Knight Templar Education Foundation ended its loan program and now grants scholarships to deserving students who meet these requirements:
- Student must be a resident of Illinois and a full time student in good standing;
- Undergraduate student must have attained junior or senior status;
- Undergraduate student may reapply for a second year extension of the scholarship;
- Graduate student may receive a scholarship one time;
- Student must have and maintain a 3.5 grade point average on a 5-point scale or a 2.5 point average on a 4-point scale;
- Student applicants must furnish a copy of the Federal Aid Report Statement (FAFSA), two references and current picture;
- Personal references must be citizens of the student’s hometown and of high standing.
- Applications are accepted by the Illinois Grand Recorder, H. Wayne Hoffman, at P.O. Box 447, Delavan, IL 61734, from February 1 to April 1 of each year. Applicants are interviewed by the Illinois Division of the Knight Templar Education Foundation, which must find the applicant to be worthy after investigation.
- Application Forms are available from the Office of the Illinois Grand Recorder, P.O. Box 447, Delavan, IL 61734 or by email to email@example.com. Also, Application Forms may be downloaded from the Knights Templar Web Site here
The Illinois Grand Commandery Committee overseeing the Illinois Division of the Knight Templar Education Foundation this year includes
Gary D. Hermann, Chairman
William J. Farris
Stuart S. Stone
John D. Jones
Wayne Hoffman, Secretary
Additional information may be obtained by contacting any of the Committee members.